The destroyer tender Whitney was built at the Boston Navy Yard and commissioned in October 1923. She was a sister ship to Dobbin. She was some 484 feet overall in length and 63 feet in the beam, drawing just under 25 feet and displacing 8,325 tons. She carried four 5-inch and four 44mm anti-aircraft guns. Her purpose was to act as a depot ship for a force of up to 18 destroyers. She was anchored off McGrew Point alongside Conyngham in Pearl Harbor.