Destroyer No. 348 Farragut gave her name to a class of eight ships. She was laid down at Bethlehem Steel Co., Quincy, on 20 September 1932 and completed on 19 June 1934. Her displacement was 1.365 tons, length overall 341 feet and beam 34 feet. She carried four 5-inch and several smaller guns and eight 21-inch torpedo tubes. Her complement was 162 men. On 7 December she was moored together with the other ships of Destroyer Division Two, Aylwin, Dale and Monaghan, in the center of East Loch north of Ford Island.